Introduction: Safeguards Information System (SIS)
This is a system for providing information on how safeguards are being addressed or respected throughout the implementation of REDD+ activities and is the one of the pillars of the Warsaw Framework for REDD+. This system, commonly known as safeguards information system and abbreviated as SIS, needs to:
- Provide transparent and consistent information that is accessible by all relevant stakeholders and updated on a regular basis.
- Be transparent and flexible to allow for improvements over time.
- Provide information on how all of the safeguards are being addressed and respected.
- Be country-driven and implemented at the national level.
- Build upon existing systems, as appropriate.
Process to design Myanmar Safeguards Information System
Using these design considerations as a starting point, the following key steps are undertaken in Myanmar to design its SIS
- Identifying SIS objectives (with possibility for later refinement)
- Setting out SIS information needs
- Carrying out an information systems and sources assessment
- Determining SIS information structure and proposed indicators
- Analysing system requirements, including needs for information sharing and dissemination and engagement of government and non-government stakeholders
- Developing institutional and technological arrangements to meet these requirements
For more information, please see the download links below.
Safeguards country resources hub: https://unredd.net/announcements-and-news/2592-safeguards-country-resource-hub.html
UN-REDD Technical Brief – REDD+ Safeguards Information Systems: practical design considerations: