Nay Pyi Taw, 4 April 2018
A technical mission of National Forest Inventory (NFI) Team from Myanmar Forest Department to the FAO Headquarters in Rome, Italy was undertaken from 26 February to 2 March 2018.
The FD representatives of Myanmar participated in this mission are:
- Mr. Kyaw Kyaw Lwin, Deputy Director General, Forest Department
- Mr. Tin Tun, Director, Planning and Statistics Division, FD
- Mr. Kyaw Min Thein, Deputy Director, Planning and Statistics Division, FD
- Dr. Myat Su Mon, Assistant Director, Planning and Statistics Division, FD
- Mr. Nay Lin Htun, Range Officer, Planning and Statistics Division, FD
- Mr. Phyoe Wei, Range Officer, Planning and Statistics Division, FD.
Mr. Franz Arnold, Chief Technical Advisor from FAO Myanmar, Mr. Pekka Hyvoenen, Project Coordinator, LUKE and Mr. Vesa Kaarakka, Forestry Advisor, Finnish Embassy were also participating in the meeting.
During the mission, (1) Workplan for the planning phase of the NFI-NFMIS Project, (2) Scope and Scale of the new National Forest Inventory in Myanmar, (3) Sampling frame and overall sampling approach, (4) Implementation of permanent and temporary sample plots, (5) Sample Size for field measurements, (6) Field plot design and field methodology, (7) Alternative ways to access the plots in the areas of difficult access, (8) Data collection methods and data management system, and (9) Capacity building needs were discussed.
Expected Outcomes of the Mission are as mentioned below;
- Clarity on expected scale for which the NFI as part of the NFMS can realistically produce data; options for small area estimations,
- Preliminary definition of reporting units of the NFI,
- Outline for an overall NFI methodology document,
- Workplan following results of discussion on overall approach, stratification, sample size revision, revision/ prioritization of attributes for field measurements, field plot design, hierarchical structure of field forms,
- Feasible options for socioeconomic data collection in the context of the project.